Green Park Station then and now
A thriving hub of independent traders, market stall holders and artisan products, Green Park Station is now home to Bath's indie community. We recently stumbled upon some old images of the former railway station during its in-between years, from its decommission in the late 1960s and it the redevelopment in the 1980's.
'Bath Green Park' Station was originally known as Queen Square - the square still some 500 metres from the station. Green Park Station was opened in 1870 and acted as the terminus of Midland Railway's Mangotsfield and Bath Branch Line.
Architect John Holloway Sanders designed the station buildings which have since been renovated after the station was decommissioned and the last passenger train left Green Park in 1966 following the Beeching Report.
With the last goods train leaving the station in 1971 it wasn't until the 1980s when the space was redeveloped and Sainburys Green Park store opened in December 1982.